When starting the Gauteng Department of Education online registration for your child, you should follow three important steps in the application process. These stages include:
- Entering the details of the parent/legal guardian
- Entering the learner’s details
- Applying to a school
Step 1: Enter details of the parent/legal guardian
- First of all, you have to press the “Apply for 2020” button or click Register when you open the official website of the GDE. You must accept the Terms and Conditions and click Continue to proceed with an application. Then you will proceed to the page is where you would need to type your information.
- When the “Enter Parent/Guardian Details” form appears, you have to fill in every field marked with an asterisk. The required information consists of the municipality, street name and number, your phone number and so on. Then, you will have to enter your South African ID number. You can leave the fields with the landline and email address.
- In the application process, you will have to create a username as well as a password. You will need this password while accessing the main application. The password has to be unique and consist of 8 characters, including a capital letter, small letters, a special character and numbers. Do not forget it, write it down and keep it in a safe place. However, if you forget the password or username, you can reset it.
Step 2: Include the information about the learner
On the next page titled Enter Learners Details you have to:
- Type the information of your child including the fact whether the learner is South African or not, the identification number, province, and the current grade.
- Once you have filled all the required fields, you should click the “Submit Learner Details” button.
Step 3: Applying to a school
Then you should follow these steps:
1. Choose an application option. You will have to select one of the options: home address, sibling, work address, school within 30-kilometre radius, school beyond 30-kilometre radius and school of focus learning. There are also two options that you can use for placement but not for application; they are boarding school and previous school.
- When you select the “home address” or “work address” option, the system will automatically filter the schools and ask you to choose one from the options that are either close to your home or work.
- If you choose the “sibling” option, it is possible to apply to a school where the sibling studies. It is needed to give the information about the sibling including their name, surname and the school.
- If you decide to use the option considering the school within or beyond 30-kilometre radius of home address, the system will provide you with all the schools within or beyond the radius so you can select a certain school.
- The last option you can opt for is “school of focus learning”, the list of such type of schools will pop up. The learner will have to complete admission tests.
You can apply to a maximum of 5 schools per child.
2. After finalising the application form, you can press “Submit Application”, and the application is made.
3. Then, you will get an SMS that will confirm the successful submission of an application. You would be given a Waiting List reference number that will appear on the screen. The number means that your application was actually submitted. Please check if you get the SMS cause in case you do not receive it, you have to ensure that you have done everything in a proper way.
Note that after you have received the Waiting List reference number, as a parent, you still have the privilege of applying again. After submitting your first application, you will have three options to choose from. You can press “Apply to another school for the same learner”, “Apply for another learner” or the Logoff button.
There are six types of Waiting List reference numbers that you can receive. They are:
- WA1 – Parent is living closest to the school in the feeder zone
- WA2 – A child has a sibling at the school
- WA3 – Parent works within a feeder zone of a school
- WA4 – Parent’s home address is within a 30-kilometre radius of a school
- WB – Parent’s home address is beyond a 30-kilometre radius of a school
- WA5 – Schools of focus learning